Year End Top Five Lists
A Top Five list from everyone in the office to celebrate an eventful, productive, and often hilarious 2011.
Andrei: Top Five Miscellaneous Moments from 2011
- Favorite book I read this year: Welcome to the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan. Yes, time is a goon, and yes, Egan knows how to turn a phrase. Plus, there’s a chapter written entirely in PowerPoint! (Honorable mentions go to Never Let Me Go and 1Q84.)
- Favorite example of a picture tells a thousand words: We built a house in 2011, and this snapshot represents the muddy, complicated, foggy and beautiful mess that is the process of homebuilding.
- Favorite proud-father moment, courtesy of our 6-year-old daughter: “Dada, I think I like math better than recess.” (And this, coming from a girl who loves recess.)
- Favorite work moment: Watching a younger colleague in an important client presentation and thinking to myself, “Damn, she’s got game!” Having a ringside seat to see our team grow and mature is a pretty fantastic thing.
- Favorite I’m-not-as-young-as-I-think realization: Getting a thank you card from an intern inscribed to “Mr. Andrei Mylroie”
Casey: Top Five Age Appropriate Viral Videos of the Year
- I told my kids I ate their Halloween candy
- Webcam 101 for seniors
- My daughter has chosen the dark side
- Ojai Valley Taxidermy TV commercial
- Rebecca Black, Friday
Cher & Jim: Top Five Achievements from 2011
- Sara D’s amazing wedding and getting a terrific new son-in-law – like we told our other son-in-law at the wedding – thanks to him, the bar is really high in our family for this position. We couldn’t be prouder of our two surrogate sons.
- Our 15th DHC anniversary and remembering our humble roots in our basement at 5 mile, after the Elkins’ Trapper Creek Bar planning session that summer.
- Watching the teamwork, support and innovative way everyone has pitched in during tough economic times.
- Working with amazing clients – many since the beginning of our company – and enjoying every minute of the relationship.
- Leading the team as a partner group – challenging each other, opening up possibilities and having a great affection for each other.
Honorable Mention: Oh and a kicker – watching Andrei complete his new house – admiration for his tenacity doesn’t begin to cover it!
Christine: Top Five Places She's Eaten on the Road This Year
- The Capital Grille, Washington DC
- Bon Fire Grill and Bar, Scottsdale AZ
- Lola, Seattle WA
- Departure, Portland OR
- Ben's Chili Bowl, Washington DC
Emily: Top Five Reality TV Moments of the Year
- Kim Kardashian dashes from her marriage… after 72 days.
- The royal wedding. Even if it did air at 3 a.m. in the US! So worth it!
- Charlie Sheen “wins” laughs from America and loses his TV gig.
- Any and all of the republican party debates and the hilarity that ensued
- The Jersey Shore cast takes on Italy in true guido/guidette fashion.
Kristen: Top Five Favorite New Businesses That Opened in Spokane This Year
- Geno’s. Yummy Italian food and live music.
- Trader Joe’s. Finally!
- Saranac Public House. I’m dreaming of Saranac’s patio during summer months.
- Farmgirlfit. Gonzaga alums opened an awesome women-only gym. You’ll be sore, but it’s worth it.
- Sweet Frostings. Blissful Bakeshop. Delightful treats one block from DHC? Yes please.
Lisa: Top Five Quotes of Her 4-Year-Old Son, Lincoln, This Year
- While watching a Mickey Mouse Christmas DVD: "Mom is Mrs. Claus Santa's friend or is there something else going on there?"
- At a DHC workflow meeting: “Everyone, may I have your attention please!” Everyone turns to him as he lifts up his shirt. “I’m naked!”
- While rubbing kids Vick’s cream on his chest: “Daddy is that dog slobber?”
- Randomly: “I’m going to fly on a magic carpet ride to the circus, India and… Ohio.”
- Eating Chex Mix and finds a peanut I forgot to pick out (he holds it up in the air): “Momma! You know I don’t eat ACORNS!”
Michelle: Top Five PR Bloopers from 2011
- Weinergate. No elaboration necessary.
- Facebook hires PR firm to smear Google.What were they thinking?
- Charlie Sheen.#Losing.
- Bank of America debit card fee.Single handedly launches a new national movement: Bank Transfer Day.
- Netflix’s launch of Qwikster.Two words of advice: customer research.
Sara D: Top Five Milestones of 2011
- Marrying Jake on October 1st at the Davenport Hotel. Our wedding was amazing. The lifetime partner I gained even better. Our marriage has officially lasted longer than Kim Kardashian’s.
- Traveling on our honeymoon in the Grand Cayman Island a.k.a. paradise. We took two weeks of glorious vacation time and I’ll compare every vacation to it in the future.
- Adopting Snow in March from the Humane Society. When we got her, she was anxious and scared of people. After lots of training, patience, and love, she’s a loving, happy dog and an irreplaceable member of the family.
- First time for many things this year – scuba diving (it was a near fail…okay it was a fail), snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, attending a football game (Apple Cup) at CenturyLink, traveling to Leavenworth (such a great little escape right in our state). I also joined the Spokane Club this year and got to experience Amy Black’s Skinny Jeans class -- an intense boot-camp style work out at 6 a.m. I never felt stronger!
- Celebrating 15 years of business for my parents and their partners. The anniversary was a testament to the entrepreneurial spirit and hard work over the years.
Sara J: Top Five Miscellaneous Moments from 2011
- Favorite book and movie: The Help. Second favorite book– Born to Run, almost made me want to start running barefoot through the streets of Spokane. Almost.
- Favorite quote of the year: “I’m mostly a genius,” stated by my 3.5 year old Eli Williams.
- Favorite trips: It’s tough to pick a favorite! We logged around 25 trips to Seattle this year and each one had its own special mix of road-warrior fun. We had the opportunity to meet with clients and work on some amazing projects! I also had the chance to visit Hawaii and Arizona and traipse along the outer edge of the Grand Canyon!
- Are you smarter than a 6th grader moment: Discovered that my 6th grader outsmarted her parents by finding a way to turn her iPod Touch into a cell phone and texting tool, after the decision was made that she was too young for a cell phone! Have to appreciate the technical savvy and ingenuity. She’s texting to her little heart’s content now.
- Favorite surprise this year: A surprise party thrown by my mom, Sharon, on HER birthday for her kids and grandkids. Since she’s not a fan of surprise parties for her, she figured she’d flip the switch and plan a surprise for us. The result: wall to wall trampolines, dodge ball against some tenacious 10 year olds, and somewhat successful flying leaps and back flips into a pit of foam. Has to be my favorite surprise party I’ve been to yet!
Searri: Top Five Signs that Life is Changing in 2011
- Hearing my kids quote what I would say to their friends before I have a chance. (When it is something they know there is no chance of.)
- Having to look up for the first time when talking to my teenager.
- You can’t even talk in code in front of the kids anymore.
- Your daughter wants summer camp really bad when she sells 800 more boxes of cookies than normal to pay for it.
- When you can escape for a date night and not have to pay for a babysitter anymore.
Tyler: Top Five Nerd/Fanboy Moments of 2011
- TWO SONICS?!?! Sonic Generations: greatest videogame ever made. Ever.
- The DC Comics Universe “reboots” for the first time since the ‘40s. No more colored outer-undies for Superman and Batman!
- The Rock returns to wrestling. If you SMELL what the ROCK, IS, COOKIN.
- “Time to find out.” Optimus Prime has had it up to here. Later much, Megatron.
- Winter is Coming... Games of Thrones arrives on HBO—Sean Bean is always awesome.